Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Bye Bye 2008 - - Welcome 2009, I think!

It’s New Year’s Eve. Less than FOUR HOURS from 2009. I guess that means that it’s time for a review of 2008. And than maybe a quick look at my hopes for the upcoming year.

In a nutshell . . . 2008 pretty well was a yucky year for most everyone I know! Gas prices wwaayy too high - and then dropping like a rock. Groceries so high I’m considering giving up food. Real estate prices still falling. The stock market just going completely to h*ll in a hand basket. The Big 3 auto makers begging for our tax $$ (like we don’t need it ourselves). Financial outfits claiming they need a bailout while they wine and dine and pay HUGE bonuses to the idiots that put them on the brink of disaster!

But, there were good things, too! Over at mycharmingkids (McKMama’s blog) little Stellan was born as pretty much the miracle of the year! Although he’s in the hospital right now fighting RSV, it looks like he’s turned the corner and is going to be just fine! The most recent posts are very encouraging. My Pickle and MH are doing just GREAT in school, in their sports AND in their citizenship. They are both turning into terrific participants in our world. I’m so very proud of them. Of course, their Mom and Dad are pretty neat, too - but there is just something about watching your grand kids turning into ‘people’ that is so satisfying. I’m not the least bit prejudiced, these two are just really, really special!

Another good thing I have notice recently is that people seem nicer. They say hello on the street or smile and nod in passing. When they see someone in trouble, they actually try to help! At the grocery store, if someone is a couple of dollars short, other people in line pull out their change and make up the difference! Last week, I went through a toll booth - and they wouldn’t let me pay! Said the guy ahead of me paid my toll! I think this is something we should all be doing for each other. More than once, I have given a restaurant manager money to pay (or help pay) the bill for someone that looked like they could use a little help. Or if there was a little old lady in line behind me at the grocery store I might give the cashier $20 to pay toward her bill. I’m not rich, but I would much rather spend a little like that than on a frill for myself. I get such a good feeling from doing a little ‘secret pal’ treat for someone that I will probably never see again - I’ll never know their name - I’ll never know their circumstances. I just know how great it made me feel to do it!

For 2009 I am really hoping that there will be more improvement in our economy. That all of our troops can come home safely. That my husband and I can spend some time with our wonderful K, JB, Pickle, MH, Larry and Lucy . . . and maybe even sneak in some fly fishing (mmmmmm, trout)! That the construction business will get busier than ever so JB will be working his buns off! And that people will continue to be kinder to one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments - it's how I know I'm not talking to myself ALL the time!