Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sports on Television!

Along with the REASON FOR THE SEASON - all of the wonderful food - fabulous decorations - happy people - grumpy shoppers and good spirited peace on earth feelings . . . here come the BOWL GAMES!!

Oh boy! I really do love some good college football - especially if it's really cold or raining or snowing or better yet, all three! I know - if it was my son out there I'm sure I would feel differently, but admit it - there's just something about watching those guys go sliding across the field! I've never really enjoyed pro football. But I will watch the Super Bowl - those commercials are GREAT!

I also enjoy just about any Olympic sport. I had heard about curling when I went to college in Northern Michigan, but had never seen it until the Winter Olympics were in Italy. I couldn't believe that I was fascinated with it. It's kind of like shuffleboard without the sunburn! It's the only time I've ever seen a broom used for something fun!

I do have to say that cricket isn't much fun. It was on the other day. I couldn't figure out what was going on so I googled the rules and was reading about it as the game was going on. I never did 'get it'.

I'm a race fan! Circle track, road course, drag track, off-road, stadium - whatever! I was pretty much raised on NASCAR with a little NHRA thrown in and some rally and off-road here and there. Been around it since the mid 1950's (sheesh, I can't be that old!) and love it still! I imagine there will be some big adjustments coming in 2009 with sponsorship money probably being tight and a lot of fans not being able to justify the increasing expense of attending races! Hopefully it won't create too much of a problem with the television coverage. I've gotten to where I think tv is better than being there in person. Yes, the sounds and smells just aren't the same - but those instant re-plays just can't be beat. . . . . and no traffic jam to get home!

Baseball is great, too. Again I prefer college to professional - - and I love soft ball! Slow pitch or fast pitch are both a lot of fun to watch. And those girls are really, really serious about their game!

Horses! Yeah, I never got over my 'little girl's' love of horses. I do like watching jumping - but will watch rodeo and almost anything else with pretty horses in it!

Water sports - I watch just about anything involving water. Not just boat racing and that kind of thing. I have a niece that started competition swimming at about 5. She's still swimming in her 40's and still holds records from high school, college and her senior swimming! And I still love watching it. I like the diving competitions, too. How they do that stuff without knocking their brains out on the diving boards I'll never understand! I get a kick out of surfing and water skiing, too!

Oh My Gosh!!! I'm a sports fanatic!!! I just realized. Maybe not even just a fan. I might just be a sports junkie!! No - - - not that bad! I don't like wrestling - boxing - martial arts, etc. But I will watch and ice hockey game from time to time.

I even watch track and field events!

What's wrong with me???

Yes, I do participate in some. We have a local drag track. Friends own cars that we go watch several times a year. We fish (a lot) - and I do NOT enjoy that on television! We take the rat terriers to some beaches on the river near us and encourage their splashing, swimming, barkfests while we roar with laughter!

And I almost forgot . . . . high school football is only as good as the DRUM LINE in the band!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments - it's how I know I'm not talking to myself ALL the time!