Wednesday, February 11, 2009

DAYTONA 500 TIME!!


For some reason, I still find myself getting excited as the new NASCAR racing season begins this week! It's like this every year. The closer we get to the Daytona 500, the higher the anticipation!


I was at the first Daytona 500. Actually, I was at the last two races that were held on the beach! I watched a lot of the construction of the Speedway, saw the testing - and was mesmerized by the speeds!


When people speak now of the history of NASCAR, they are usually talking about the 1970's. When I talk about history . . . I'm talking HISTORY! Red Byron, Eddie Pagan, Lee Petty, Johnny Beauchamp, Joe Weatherly, Elmo Langley, Tim Flock, Fireball Roberts, Buck Baker, Tiny Lund, Glen Wood, Herman Beam, Marvin Panch, and Curtis Turner.


There was at least one year that there were over 60 races for what is called Cup cars. That was before all the huge interstate highways, before the plush motor homes, before the fabulous tractor-trailer rigs, etc. That was when nobody had private planes to zip from track to track.!


One thing I can say is that those were some really wild times! Even though I was just a kid in the late 50's - I remember drivers racing rental cars (lovingly called u-wreck 'ems), in reverse from the speedway to the beach .. .. .. just to see who had to buy dinner!


Some of this "way back when" stuff makes me wonder how those guys ever made it . . . some of it makes me wonder just how crazy we all were to be involved in it . . . . some of it makes me really proud to be able to say I was there and was able to contribute in my own little, tiny way to what we see as NASCAR now!!


Got a question or comment about NASCAR ancient history? Leave it in comments and I'll do my best to answer for ya! I don't know it all - but I can make up a story just as good as those other guys!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments - it's how I know I'm not talking to myself ALL the time!