Friday, April 3, 2009

Gas Powered Yard Machines Hate Me!


Dub and I decided to get a little outside stuff done today. We rotated the tires on the mower. And while it was jacked up, decided we should remove the blade and sharpen it. I mean, how hard can THAT be?

First of all, our floor jack will not lift the front of the mower high enough to get an impact wrench under the nut we must remove to take the blade off. So Dub decides to do it the easy way (sure!). We jack it up as high as we can. We install jack stands under each side to hold it up. Lower the floor jack, place a brick on the floor jack and then jack the mower a little higher . . . .oh, about a brick-width higher!

Yep, that's good. Dub's ready to stick his whole body in there.. .. .. .. NOPE!! Not while Mrs. Safety (me) is still breathing. There is no way this looks safe enough for me to let a fly go under that mower. I retreat to the storage room and come out with the ramps we use when changing the oil in the Jeep. Okay - I place them under the front wheels of the mower, and tell him to take off the blade.

Never, ever would I say it - - - NEVER - - - but, the instant he hit that impact wrench, the floor jack (with the brick on it) slipped and let the front wheels drop. But only about 1/16" onto the ramps I had installed! Okay, "I told you so", I really did want to say it loudly - but I didn't! I whispered it really soft.

After getting the mower back together with no further adventures - I decided I would do a little weed eating. Of course, the Weedeater and a different idea. Dub pulls the cord once - it starts and runs like crazy.

Dub wanders down the street to discuss the latest mailbox murder with a neighbor as I did damage to some weeds. After a little while, I took a break. Now that darn thing won't start. Won't vroom at all. No amount of yanking on the cord, no amount of choking, not choking, begging, whining, etc. is making a difference. This is our NEW "Start on First Pull" super, duper weed eater! I went into the shed, dug out my 20 year old electric weed eater and super long extension cords, plugged that baby in and ate weeds to my hearts content.

Is it possible that gasoline powered lawn equipment hates me for some unknown reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments - it's how I know I'm not talking to myself ALL the time!